Friday, November 21, 2008

Keep your eye on the ball...

We've all heard the same old phrase from coaches, teachers, and parents. "Keep your eye on the ball." We've heard it applied to sports, schoolwork, and life in general. It also applies to politics.

Since the election, there has been an uproar beyond measure from "conservative" interest groups bemoaning the loss of liberty that they believe is certain to ensue from the Obama administration. One of the most focused-on areas is the 2nd Amendment, the right to keep and bear arms. 

Those who know me personally know that I am a firearms rights advocate. I write to elected officials, spread the word far and wide about the 2nd Amendment, attend hearings at the state capitol and above all, I am an active shooter. I believe in the right to own firearms without type restrictions and the right to carry firearms for personal protection, and I believe that such rights are directly protected by the Constitution of the United States.

We'll likely see some restrictions resurrected after the changeover. The Clinton-era assault weapons ban will probably be put back into effect. The Clinton ban doesn't actually solve any problems, of course. Criminals don't care whether they are allowed to have a 10 round magazine or a 15 round magazine, they don't care whether the gun they use to commit a crime meets legal requirements...I think the very act of committing the primary offense overshadows the other considerations. I think the ban is a joke, a farce; the ban is something that Democrats will pass in order to show their base that they are being "tough on crime". 

Is the ban a direct violation of our 2nd Amendment rights? 
Absolutely. 

Should we be angry and loudly oppose any movement toward taking away our rights? Absolutely. 

Is this the most pressing issue on the table? 
Absolutely not.

Both sides need to keep their eyes on the ball. I would like to say that conservatives won't have anything to worry about under the upcoming administration, but I can't. Still, we need to make sure we don't forget which issues are the most pressing. You don't need a firearm to defend your home if you no longer own a home to defend. I also implore the Democrats to keep THEIR eyes on the ball. They must ensure they don't make the same mistakes that the RNC made in the election and put emotional issues front and center while the nation crumbles around us. 

Please allow me to address my closing lines to the incoming administration and Congress:

Fix the economy.

Get us out of Iraq.

After those issues are resolved, let's debate gun control. Invite me, I'll mop the floor with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment